From our friends at ProtoPasta:
Protopasta Stainless Steel PLA filament is a dense material that prints as easily as standard PLA but results in heavy cast metal looking prints that can be brushed, sanded, or polished post-print to achieve amazing results. Using real steel powder, this premium, metal-filled steel PLA filament is perfect for jewelry, costumes, props, figurines, crafting, robots, or any other 3D prints needing a truly stainless steel finish.
Prints like plastic, polishes like stainless steel!
Introducing Stainless Steel-Filled Metal Composite PLA. Using real steel powder, we've created a premium metal PLA filament for 3D prints that finish just like real stainless steel! Our steel composite filament is as versatile as it is beautiful, printing like plastic, but finishing like real metal for beautiful, durable parts from most standard 3D printers.
**This filament is more abrasive than standard PLA. Be prepared to replace your nozzle and do 1st layer adjustment. Try a wear resistant and/or larger diameter nozzle for increased service intervals. See the Undertaker.
- Available in 1.75
- 500g is on a 8" diameter spoo
- Usable on most PLA-compatible printers, such as Lulzbot, Makerbot, FlashForge, Dremel, Ultimaker, Printrbot, and more!
- Wire Brush to expose metal for future oxidation or a bright, satin finish
- Rock tumble with steel shot for darker, but smooth, shiny look
- Paint part (black for example) to fill recesses with a contrasting color
- Polish with a rotary tool, cotton buff, and polishing compound for a bright, mirror finish on high spots (darkens low spots)
- Polish with paper for a clean, smooth, and bright finish with less darkening
- Patina (oxidize) exposed metal naturally or accelerate with a 50/50 vinegar/hydrogen peroxide mixture saturated with salt. Place in sealed plastic bag to retain moisture. Heat further accelerates reaction.
- Base resin: PLA
- Additive: Real Steel Powder
- Particle size: less than 250 micron (0.25mm)
- Odor: low or no
- Density: Approx. 2.30 g/cc
- Length (500g): 97m (1.75mm) and 36m (2.85mm)