The Mosquito is a fantastic hot end that improves flow rate significantly over traditional hot ends (e.g. V6).
From Slice Engineering:
The Mosquito Hotend® is the next step in the evolution of hotend technology. With incredible heat break performance, high temperature rating, low mass, and the famous one-handed nozzle change™, it is the ideal engineering-grade addition to your 3D printer.
How did we accomplish this?
By reimagining how a hotend is designed and structured from the ground up. The materials in each part of the Mosquito Hotend® have been hand selected to perform a specific task to optimize your printer’s performance with speed, modularity, and durability in mind. Users of the Mosquito Hotend® create everything from spinal fusion devices to race car parts to 3D Benchy’s. Are you ready to see your vision fully realized?
We highly recommend the use of Boron Nitride paste with the Mosquito Hotend® to provide good thermal conductivity between the hotend and heater/thermistor.
- Superior heat break performance - conduct 85% less heat than a standard threaded heat break
- Rigid torque resistant structure
- 450°C rated for larger temperature operating range
- Modular/adaptable to almost any FFF/FDM printer
- Ideal for multi-extrusion systems
- Mosquito Hotend®
- Mosquito Hotend® Mounting Hardware
- Set of Mosquito Hotend® hex keys for assembly, disassembly and mounting
- Your selected fan type (12v/24v/none)
- Super tasty US-made gourmet lollipops
Superior heat break performance
- The heat break conducts 85% less heat into the heat sink than a typical threaded heat break
- Steep temperature gradient at the heat break, and high tolerances along the filament path allow for better transmission of fine motor movements, resulting in beautiful, higher resolution prints
- Steep temperature gradient at the heat break reduces the likelihood of jamming
- Reduced heat transmission removes the need for a large heat sink
- Composite construction of the heat break allows for the use of materials optimized for heat transfer in each section of the heat break
- Allows for hotend to be mounted with a printed, plastic adapter, without raising safety concerns
Increased structural rigidity
- The heat break has been separated from the structural components of the hotend, allowing for a heat break that is not load bearing, and can be very thin walled. This allows for a reliable, rigid exterior structure
- No components are prone to loosening at the mounting points
- Nozzles can be changed with one hand, without grasping the hot block
- In the case of a severe crash, an entirely new hotend is not necessary, parts can be easily swapped out
Larger temperature operating range
- Specially-engineered high temperature copper alloy in the hot block will not soften at high temperatures in excess of 550C.
- Threads in the hot block will not deform at high temps, allowing removal of nozzles even after multiple high temp heat cycles
- Nickel plating on the hot block reduces radiative heat loss and prevents galling of threads
Modular/adaptable to almost any FFF/FDM printer
- Compact, flat, ambidextrous form factor
- 5 different hole mounting patterns to allow for adaptation to virtually any printer
- Printable adapters can be created to diversify mounting options
Ideal for multiple extrusion systems
- The Mosquito’s tiny form factor make it ideal for multi extrusion systems. Since the Mosquito® (designed for precision) and Mosquito® Magnum (designed for flow) are the same length, any combination of these hotends can be mounted to one carriage. So a typical multi-extrusion system equipped with Mosquito(s) and Mosquito Magnum(s) can switch between high-flow and high-precision extrusion in the same print. In the blink of an eye. With one-handed nozzle changes
- Small form factor and light mass allows for back-to-back mounting with small nozzle-nozzle distance
- Small mass allows for more rapid motion
- Less reinforcement needed for the motors, belts, and drives in the motion system